Before un-mounting the bones, I sketched their organization. Then the bones are ventrally labeled with archival ink. M1= metatarsal 1, MM1 = second metatarsal, D1 = distal phalange etc.
The mount shop gave the board a nice new coat of paint... done!
Needs a little bit of cleaning. I identify this as the right pes
Before un-mounting the bones, Ethan (volunteer) sketched the organization. Then the bones were labeled with archival ink. M1= metacarpal 1, MM1 = second metacarpal D1 = distal phalange etc.
Finished product! Ethan did the hard parts.
Needs a little bit of cleaning. I identify this as the right manus
Forceps are balanced to brace against a piece of the gastralia while the paraloid adhesive dries. It will be left there for about 90 minutes. When removed, the glue won't be completely dry but the bond will be strong enough to support this brittle piece of the skeleton until the bond hardens. A concentration of about 60% is being used here, dabbed on each end with a pin. This way worked fine but another approach is to thin the glue to a concentration of 85-95% and administer with a paint brush.
A FMNH specimen. Repair work needed.